I feel like I haven’t been doing as much cross-stitch this year as I have in years past; it’s June and I’ve only finished two things this year so far. Mostly this month I worked on Geometric Dreams No. 1 from GoldenCircleDesigns on etsy. I’m working it on 28-count evenweave with three strands of DMC 3847. I ended up working in the lower left corner by starting on that section with the frame upside down from the way I had been holding it; luckily, the stitches were going in the same direction as they were with the frame right side up. I know that since it’s symmetrical it really doesn’t matter which way is up as long as the stitches are all in the same direction, but it bothered me.
I actually finished a circle on Ink Circle’s Cirqe des Cercles and started another one; I would have more progress, but I got almost all the way around on the lower circle and realized that it would not meet up properly and the mistake was near the beginning, so it all had to come out. I am enjoying working on this, though I think I’m spending too much time figuring out how to do each circle:
I got annoyed by the lack of curtains in my room and kind of made some, despite the lack of a sewing machine. I wasn’t really concerned with people seeing in (second floor, big oak tree outside), but I work at night and so wanted blackout curtains. I didn’t like the choices for cheap blackout curtains and decided to make my own, inspired by Joann’s 50% off on drapery linings this week and some nifty fabric on clearance there. Unfortunately, when I went to see if there was enough of the fabric that I liked, it was gone. I ended up getting this fabric from Hancock’s clearance. It’s not what I was looking for, but I liked it. I’m not sure if this fabric was reversible (it’s silver on silver on the other side) or if it was just the wrong way on the bolt, but I liked this side better.
I made these in a quick and dirty way. The lining was 54″ wide; I had them cut me two one-yard pieces because luckily, that was the panel size I wanted. I got three yards of the fabric (it was 64″ wide, and I got it in two 1.5-yard pieces, which was a bit much and I did have to trim each panel a little). I centered the lining on the fabric (wrong sides together) and did the sides first, and then the top and bottom. For the sides and bottom, I folded the fabric over so that the edge of the fabric touched the edge of the lining, folded it again at the edge of the lining, and pinned the fabric, ironed the folds, and sewed it together (more like basting than actual sewing; I may go back and sew them a little better later). For the top, I folded the fabric over about an inch and then folded it over at the lining and pinned, ironed, and sewed (smaller stitches and went back over them since the top carries the weight). The thread was a little light, so it shows up a little more than I’d like, but the next grey was a little dark.
The blackout lining seems to be working, though it’s not sunny out today (the edge of Isaac is approaching). It’s about as dark as nighttime with them closed (possibly darker); I didn’t take a picture of them hanging because it’s messy by the window. For curtains on a budget and without a sewing machine, I’m happy with the results; they weren’t that much more than Walmart blackout curtains ($9.97 each or 19.94 for two vs. $15 for fabric (which should have been less) and $6.99 for the lining or $21.99 for two), the effort wasn’t too strenuous, and I like the end result much better than the Walmart choices.
The design was taken from Stained Glass Window Designs of Frank Lloyd Wright coloring book. I originally intended to do four panels across and make a pillow out of it but decided I didn’t like the colors I chose that much. I used size 14 mesh, two strands of DMC size 5 cotton thread for the design, and two strands of DMC 310 (black) embroidery floss for the backstitching.
Colors used (all DMC):
310 – black
725 – md lt topaz
801 – dk coffee brown
825 – dk blue
890 – ultra dk pistachio green
This might be a bookmark, if I can figure out how to finish it. It is cross-stitch, with a design adapted from part of a pattern in Original Art Deco Allover Patterns by William Rowe. I’m happy with the design; I think I’d use different colors if I did something like that again, though, and I might try three strands instead of two. I had bought an embroidery floss gift pack of 4m each of 25 colors, and chose colors from that.
I didn’t think to keep track of how much embroidery floss I used. I did use 2 strands for the cross-stitch, one for the backstitch/details. The colors are (all DMC):
310 – Black
498 – Dark Red
743 – Medium Yellow
798 – Dark Delft blue
809 – Delft Blue
869 – Very Dark Hazelnut Brown