I worked on four things this month: one each of cross-stitch, needlepoint, blackwork, and beading (peyote stitch). I reached the halfway point on the cross-stitch and halfway minus the border on the needlepoint and decided to do a bookmark to relax.
This is 99 by Ink Circles; I reached bottle 50 this month, so I’m very slightly over halfway finished.
The needlepoint project I’ve been working on is is Little Blue Book Bag from Freda’s Fancy Stitching. This is the front of the bag; it will eventually get a border (that’s one of the last steps). I’ve enjoyed working on this, though I’ve found some mistakes in the chart. I’m not happy with one section (the two square vertical section near the top right); it switches from vertical to horizontal stitches and is very clear in the picture with the chart that that’s what’s happening, but it doesn’t show up like that for me. I can count on the picture and see that I’m going over the same number of threads, so I don’t know what’s going on with it. I may redo it over three threads instead of two and see if that looks better.
This is the bookmark I’ve just started; it’s the Celtic blackwork bookmark from Needlework Tips and Techniques. I’m working it on 14-count black Aida with DMC E940 (glow in the dark) for no real reason (I had it and had been wanting to use it for something). I’m using two strands for the cross-stitch border, three strands for the cross-stitches in the triangles, two strands for the diagonals, and one strand for the rest; I didn’t like the coverage on the triangles with fewer strands. The glow in the dark floss is a little difficult to work with; it’s six strand floss, but each strand is two-ply and I’m having problems with the strands separating.
This is the Chinese dragon from Josie Fabre’s Etsy shop, which is currently empty. It’s complete except for firmly attaching the loop and attaching the toggle on the other end. I finished the two triangles for the toggle; I think it’s supposed to be 3-D and not just two flat triangles, but am not sure how to achieve that.
I think I also tried square stitch for one of my loom projects and made it through a few beads on the second row. I don’t know if I have the patience for that, though it might get easier once I have a few rows in to make a base. For me at least the first few rows of peyote stitch are a little difficult, but once those first few rows are done it’s much easier (and more fun).