I started a needlepoint project this month: Little Blue Book Bag from Freda’s Fancy Stitching. I’m enjoying working on this; it’s got a ton of different stitches which means that it’s never going to be boring. This is the first time I’ve used stretcher bars; it took me a few tries to get the canvas taut and I still don’t think it’s as taut as it should be.
This month I worked some on 99 by Ink Circles; I worked on 10 bottles (8 full, two partial):
This is a modified version of Boxed In by Beadholden Designs. My first attempt at beading on a loom did not go very well; I pulled out the rows I had done and started over. I enjoyed it much more and hopefully did better at getting the thread in the right place this time.
It was mostly straightforward, with no major mistakes or other problems until the end. I did the stars/snowflakes last, with the red ones first; I happened to look at the chart after I started the first grey one and realized I had done the grey stars in red and was starting the red in grey. It wasn’t a major problem; it didn’t really matter which was which color as long as there was one of each color on each side so I left them as they were.
I don’t feel like I stitched that much this month; I’m house-sitting for a few months and haven’t really adjusted all of my routine yet, including a place and time to stitch. I work nights, and I’m mostly sleeping when I was stitching at home; I would nap earlier in the afternoon (if needed) and eat dinner with everyone else and watch TV and stitch after dinner, and now I’m mostly eating earlier and napping later in the day. I did abandon the blackwork project completely for now; I didn’t even bring it with me.
Mostly, I worked on Jupiter from SpaceNavid on Etsy because it’s small and portable and I have the chart printed out, so I take it to my sister’s when I go for dinner and/or TV (no cable here). I do have the charts for the others, though I’ve been working from scans for 99. The other one is small, but it’s for a Christmas card that I don’t want my sister or her family to see before then. I think most of Jupiter’s progress is from this month; I did a couple of stitches in February when I bought the chart and I might have worked on it some in March and forgotten to take a picture of it (I keep it in a tote bag). I’m not entirely sure I centered it correctly, but it will have to do.
This month, I worked the most on 99 by Ink Circles. I am enjoying working on it; I am a beer drinker and it’s fun trying to recognize the bottles or seeing new ones. I’m working it on 32 count natural linen. I did make a couple of changes: the brackets holding up the shelves were in two parts and I connected them, and one of the bottles had a bottle color in the label part (I think it was the last one on the first row).
I continued working on two projects this month and (barely) started another. Mostly, I worked on 99 by Ink Circles. It’s on 32 count natural linen instead of Picture This Plus Ale; there is one color so far that is close to the fabric color and that doesn’t show up that well in the light I’m using, though it does show up fine in the picture (and it doesn’t show up that well in the model picture either). I am enjoying working on this; it’s big, but each bottle is a small finish. It’s fun trying to figure out what each bottle is before looking it up (there is a list included); I’m not familiar with a lot of them, though. I’ve done 9 1/4 bottles and have 89 3/4 to go plus the nine shelves.
I think the project I worked on this month was Mahjong by Seba Designs (I don’t think this design is for sale anywhere right now; I bought it from her etsy shop, which is now gone). I’m using 32-count oyster linen, DMC 310 for the outlines, and DMC 4025 for the designs. Of course, the reason why it was the thing I worked on most was because I was testing colors and making mistakes. I think my biggest problem was that I didn’t realize there were two squares around the center motif, so sometimes I counted 20 stitches and sometimes I counted 22. I think it should be smoother sailing from now on. I will probably still have counting and placement issues, but the outlines at least should be easier now that I have the middle complete and correct.
This is Ornaments from Misty Hill Studio; it’s part of their Mid-Century Modern Christmas collection. If I’m remembering correctly, I bought it during 123stitch’s summer Christmas sale, even though it wasn’t in the sale. I used the fabric that was used in the model: Zweigart 32 Count Silver Moon Belfast Linen. I had a little trouble with the outlines (miscounting and going over three instead of two), but once I had the outlines finished, the rest was easy. I did make a few changes: I made the hangers gold instead of black, I made the tops gold with white highlights instead of the other way around (it made more sense to me and it showed up better; in the picture, you could barely see the tops), and I made the gold spots in the top of the left ornament symmetrical because it bothered me that they weren’t. I’m not entirely happy with where I put the gold spots (I think the top two are too close together), but by the time I realized I wanted to move them, I’d done a few rows of the green and was not going to go back and change them.
I had intended to do two of them for Christmas cards for my sisters, but didn’t even get one finished by Christmas; I put it off and then ended up working two (part-time, 50+ hours) jobs in December and didn’t have the time or energy to finish even one. I think I’m going to do the Aluminum Tree for another one; it’s on sale right now at 123stitch.com for $3.99 (and I ordered this to make the shipping feel worth it).