This is Mars from SpaceNavid on Etsy; I thought I started it last month, but it’s not in the WIP post for June. If I did start it last month, it was only a few stitches because I finished Jupiter somewhere around the 28th. I’ve made excellent progress on it; it helped that there were very large single-color areas that went very quickly. I’ve started the areas with more colors and fewer stitches per color, so the rest will not be quite so easy. I still might finish it in August, though. I’ll probably switch back to 99 after this instead of another planet.
One the one hand, I don’t feel like I have much to show for works in progress for June; on the other hand, I did finish two projects. I’m getting closer to the end of Aluminum Tree from Misty Hill Studio. I hope I can finish it by the time I’m done house-sitting; I ought to be able to finish it by Christmas.
I only finished eight projects this year (seven cross-stitch and one needlepoint): five bookmarks (one needlepoint), one card, one planet (55×55 stitches), and one larger piece (163×163 stitches). I currently have no idea where some of the bookmarks are; I need to check my library books before I return them.
The one needlepoint bookmark was Fireworks. I really enjoyed working on this, and I think I should do more needlepoint.
I completed this Water Garden for a birthday card for my sister; it only took me a year to finish.
I completed Neptune; someday, I will have all of the planets (assuming that he continues designing them; he has Mercury, Venus, and Uranus to go).
The one larger piece I completed was Geometric Dreams No. 1. I am happy I finished something larger than a bookmark, but I still need to wash it, iron it, and turn it into a pillow.
This is one of a pair of Klimt-inspired silhouettes from Jill Oxton’s Cross Stitch and Bead Weaving issue 96. It’s using two strands on 14 count plastic canvas. The instructions called for three strands and I usually use three on plastic canvas, but I wasn’t thinking about it when I started. By the time I realized that I should be using three it was too late for me to want to start over. The woman stitched up very quickly; I know I didn’t, but I felt like I spent more time on the blackwork background than I did on her. I never really felt like I understood the pattern of the blackwork, which made it more difficult than it needed to be. There’s a left facing silhouette that I’m probably going to do, either as a separate bookmark from this one or attached and facing her; it’s not in the picture, but I do have enough canvas on the right to do either one.
This is a needlepoint bookmark from Beautiful Stitches. The model was done in fall colors and called “Autumn Fireworks”; the variegated color was dyed by the designer, so I couldn’t match it if I wanted. It called for 24 count congress cloth, which I’d never used before and which was very easy to use. I used DMC 900, 727, and 972 as my solid colors and DMC 51 as my variegated color. I had some of DMC 51 around from the Cirque des Cercles attempt and because it had the most distinct colors of any of the variegated floss that I had on hand (the rest were shades of the same color and I decided not to look for the satin floss that I think I have). I wasn’t sure if I’d like DMC 51 in this because it changed colors more slowly than the model’s variegated color, but I like the effect even though it’s hard to tell that some of the smaller motifs use it.
This worked up much faster than I expected because I had serious problems with a number of the elements through failure of counting, misplacing elements, and misunderstanding the instructions. There was one stitch that I had to look up on the internet for instructions because the provided ones did not make sense to me. I had the worst problems with the top section; I had all those problems there. Misplacing and/or miscounting the outer elements caused the center elements to be misplaced, and the outer elements were discovered to be out of place when the center elements were correctly placed (I started counting from the cross-stitch outline instead of the outer elements). I also failed in keeping the thread tension even so it’s kind of wavy in places. Despite the problems that I had, I really enjoyed working on it and am happy with the way it turned out; it was a nice change from cross-stitching.
I worked on a few smaller things this month: two for bookmarks, one for a Christmas card, and one just because I wanted to do it. I completely forgot about doing a WIP post until today; I think the only thing I’ve worked on in the last few days is the Klimt silhouette.
I started one of the Klimt Silhouettes from Jill Oxton’s Cross Stitch and Bead Weaving #96; I am disappointed that issue 97 will be the last one. I’m doing this on 14-count plastic canvas; I probably should have used three strands, but I used two. It’s worked up very quickly; I will probably finish it in the next few days.