This is Mars from SpaceNavid on Etsy; I thought I started it last month, but it’s not in the WIP post for June. If I did start it last month, it was only a few stitches because I finished Jupiter somewhere around the 28th. I’ve made excellent progress on it; it helped that there were very large single-color areas that went very quickly. I’ve started the areas with more colors and fewer stitches per color, so the rest will not be quite so easy. I still might finish it in August, though. I’ll probably switch back to 99 after this instead of another planet.
One the one hand, I don’t feel like I have much to show for works in progress for June; on the other hand, I did finish two projects. I’m getting closer to the end of Aluminum Tree from Misty Hill Studio. I hope I can finish it by the time I’m done house-sitting; I ought to be able to finish it by Christmas.
This is from Josie Fabre’s book Fast Peyote Stitch Jewelry, using sightly different colors. The original design called for Delica beads in matte transparent ocean blue, azure, and lime; I substituted Toho light blue silver-lined for the lime, teal silver-lined for the light blue, and rainbow navy for the dark blue. The matte transparent did not look very transparent in the pictures; I like the way the silver-lined beads look better. I kind of wish I’d used a silver-lined blue instead of the rainbow navy; I liked them better in the tube than in the bracelet.
I enjoyed making the bracelet itself and am happy with the way it came out. I had some issues with tension, but I always have issues with tension; this is why I don’t knit or crochet. I also had a some problems with the loop, beaded bead, and trim; The trim was easy to miscount, and I’m not 100% sure the beaded bead will stay together.
I think next I’m going to do this next, using blue silver-lined beads for the topaz beads and dyed rainbow light blue for the light yellow. I still want to do something else from the book (and this), but I’d need those exact beads and I don’t know which sites are reliable.
I decided to try something different; this is the Deco Fans bracelet from Fast Peyote Stitch Jewelry by Josie Fabre. The design called for galvanized silver and matte red, but Michael’s didn’t have either of those, so I went with white and silver-lined red. The closest they had to silver was clear silver-lined. I was very confused when I started it, but once I got the hang of it I enjoyed making this. I’m not sure I did the loop on the end right; I think it’s secure and it holds the bead properly, so I guess it’s OK. I hated to write in the book, but I had to mark rows off to keep track of where I was (and I still had a few problems with keeping track).
I was at Jo-Ann and I saw the book and liked some of the designs in it, and they now take coupons on books, so I bought it. This sort of bead weaving is something I’d been interested in for a while, so I was happy to see it. They of course did not have the recommended beads (preferably Miyuki Delica; she recommended Toho as well, but this was the only project that used them), so I went to Michael’s and got beads there (Toho, though any sort of consistently-sized bead would have been fine so I would have had to stick to one brand). I ended up getting the bead for the closure of this and some non-seed beads at Jo-Ann for the next project on my list (the green and blue one on the cover, though with different shades of blue and green). Neither of them had the recommended thread, so I went to Hobby Lobby for it (thankfully they had it; I didn’t want to mail order for something I wasn’t sure I’d enjoy doing). If Hancock’s still existed, I would have checked there too (they were more convenient than Hobby Lobby or Jo-Ann).
The project after next that I want to do is based on Hokusai’s Great Wave off Kanagawa; I will have to mail-order beads for that since I’d want those exact colors and none of the big craft stores sell a good range of Delica beads (Hobby Lobby had a handful of colors, but I’m not sure they had any of the ones needed).
I finished eleven items this year: two large pieces, one medium-sized piece, three cards, two bookmarks, two other small things, and part of something that is technically a work in progress, but I’m counting it as a finish. Two of these were blackwork and the rest were cross-stitch.
The medium-sized piece was Charles Voysey Flowers:
The other item was block eight of Save the Stitches blackwork; I’m counting it as a finish because I could be done with it here:
I actually completed a couple of things last month, so I only have a couple of WIPs. One is from Variegated Floral Borders by Linda Gillum and is called “Bright Banding”; my plan is to do three repetitions of the block and call it a bookmark. Out of all the bookmarks I’ve made, I think I can currently find two, so I want more. There are a couple of other designs that I’m thinking of turning in to bookmarks as well.
This is from Cross Stitch Art Nouveau by Barbara Hammet; it is a motif inspired by Charles Annesley Voysey. There was a picture of this along with the chart; I did not notice until it was too late that the picture and the chart were different in the area between the flowers that touch at the top. I’m not sure whether the pictured version looks better, though.