This is the Interlaced Heron bookmark from Celtic Needlepoint by Alice Starmore. I picked this book up at one of the big library book sales and am glad I did; there are several designs I’d like to work in it. It called for 22-mesh single thread canvas; I didn’t feel like tracking that down, so I worked it in half cross stitch on some 22-count fabric I had. It’s charted for Kreinik Soie d’Alger silk floss with DMC equivalents; I used the DMC equivalents except for the gold. It called for DMC 3046, which wasn’t a very bright gold, so I substituted DMC 728. I looked up the Kreinik color (2212) and probably would have wanted to substitute something else for that if I’d gone that route.
I kind of wish I’d gone for more strands or full cross stitches or something for the background; I’m not entirely happy with the coverage. I ended up scanning the chart which gave me something to mark (I was OK until I hit the first neck) and which also gave me more ability to distinguish between the different colors on the chart. It’s a color chart, and there are three very close colors on the chart (the two reds and the orange). I used a flash picture for the first wing and the scan for the second. I worked this in hand and it ended up a little warped, but I don’t care enough to do anything about it; it’s just a bookmark.
This is Mars from SpaceNavid on Etsy. It’s worked on 6×6 inch Aida cloth canvas from Michael’s; it has around a 4 1/2 inch square working area. The edges on the back are a huge mess because the stitching is around 4×4 inches and it was difficult to start and end thread anywhere near the edges; I carried thread farther than I usually do because of that. I can’t believe I finished it in about five or six weeks; I had a few minor issues, but nothing major. It’s a little off-center, though. It helped that a lot of it was large single-color areas. I was very paranoid at the beginning because I started with the large chunk of DMC 608 and was deeply afraid I would miscount somewhere and have to start over, but I constantly counted and recounted and got it right.
This is Mars from SpaceNavid on Etsy; I thought I started it last month, but it’s not in the WIP post for June. If I did start it last month, it was only a few stitches because I finished Jupiter somewhere around the 28th. I’ve made excellent progress on it; it helped that there were very large single-color areas that went very quickly. I’ve started the areas with more colors and fewer stitches per color, so the rest will not be quite so easy. I still might finish it in August, though. I’ll probably switch back to 99 after this instead of another planet.
It was mostly straightforward, with no major mistakes or other problems until the end. I did the stars/snowflakes last, with the red ones first; I happened to look at the chart after I started the first grey one and realized I had done the grey stars in red and was starting the red in grey. It wasn’t a major problem; it didn’t really matter which was which color as long as there was one of each color on each side so I left them as they were.
One the one hand, I don’t feel like I have much to show for works in progress for June; on the other hand, I did finish two projects. I’m getting closer to the end of Aluminum Tree from Misty Hill Studio. I hope I can finish it by the time I’m done house-sitting; I ought to be able to finish it by Christmas.
This is Jupiter from SpaceNavid on etsy. It’s worked on 6×6 inch Aida cloth canvas from Michael’s. It’s a tiny bit off center, which I think is due to the number of stitches in it vs the number of stitches in the canvas (they’ve all been a hair off center). I got close to the end and made a push to finish it tonight. Working on it went fairly well; I had a few minor problems, but nothing major. The back is a huge mess; it’s difficult to run the thread neatly through the back near the edges. I’ve enjoyed doing these planets; I’m going to do Mars next.
I don’t feel like I did a lot of stitching this month; I’m house-sitting and am finding myself stitching less and reading more (on Goodreads, my 2017 reading challenge is 52 books and I’m already on 42; I didn’t reach 52 last year). I also got distracted by beads.
Mostly I worked on Jupiter by SpaceNavid on Etsy when I’ve been at my sister’s house; it’s small and I have the chart printed out, and I finally realized that I could just leave it there instead of carrying it back and forth. I did make decent progress on it and ought to finish it in the next month or two. I think it’s a stitch off from the center, though (I think it’s unavoidable with the number of stitches in the pattern and on the canvas).
I don’t feel like I stitched that much this month; I’m house-sitting for a few months and haven’t really adjusted all of my routine yet, including a place and time to stitch. I work nights, and I’m mostly sleeping when I was stitching at home; I would nap earlier in the afternoon (if needed) and eat dinner with everyone else and watch TV and stitch after dinner, and now I’m mostly eating earlier and napping later in the day. I did abandon the blackwork project completely for now; I didn’t even bring it with me.
Mostly, I worked on Jupiter from SpaceNavid on Etsy because it’s small and portable and I have the chart printed out, so I take it to my sister’s when I go for dinner and/or TV (no cable here). I do have the charts for the others, though I’ve been working from scans for 99. The other one is small, but it’s for a Christmas card that I don’t want my sister or her family to see before then. I think most of Jupiter’s progress is from this month; I did a couple of stitches in February when I bought the chart and I might have worked on it some in March and forgotten to take a picture of it (I keep it in a tote bag). I’m not entirely sure I centered it correctly, but it will have to do.