This is part of the water garden from Oriental Cross Stitch Favourites (Spring 2012); it’s going to be a birthday card for my sister. I started it last year, but didn’t finish it in time. I made a serious push this week to finish it and made it. It had a lot of backstitching; I haven’t done anything with it since last summer and forgot how much I don’t like it. I made one small mistake in this; I was working the branches on the left up so that I could get to the top cross stitch part (I didn’t think I could count it accurately) and went over one instead of over two for one stitch. I found that out when I worked the other branches down and had one hole left where it met up (the last stitches I did), but just went over one instead of over two there as well. I need to go back and check that I made that stitch since for some reason, that stitch does not show up well in the picture. I need to figure out what to do for my other sister; I was originally thinking of doing another part of the water garden for her, but that style is not really her thing. I know this sister likes it because she commented on it when I first got the magazine.
In addition to finishing two projects this month (a small bookmark and Geometric Dreams No.1), I worked on an ongoing project and started something new. The ongoing project is part of the water garden from Oriental Cross Stitch Favourites (Spring 2012); it’s intended for a birthday card for my sister. I started it last year, but did not finish it in time. I need to make a push to finish it; her birthday’s at the end of October. I have most of the lower part finished; the upper part is just a few branches, but there is a ton of backstitching (every color has its own backstitching):
After I finished Geometric Dreams No. 1, I decided that I needed a complete change and started this needlepoint project from Beautiful Stitches. I’m a little intimidated by it because it has a lot of different stitches and techniques. It’s on 24 count Congress cloth, which I hadn’t heard of before but which is easy to work with. It calls for one variegated color and three coordinating solid colors; I chose to use DMC 51 for the variegated floss and DMC 900, 727, and 972 for the solid colors. The number of strands used depends on the stitch; on what I’ve done so far, the outer border is four, the variegated part is three, and the cross stitch is two over two. I’m not entirely happy with DMC 51’s rate of change; it seems a little slow for this. After I started, I remembered that I did have some more variegated floss with multiple colors, but it’s satin and I do not like working with satin floss. If I decide these colors don’t really work for me, I may go to the satin floss anyway. I’m going to get all the colors on there and DMC 51 all the way to its darkest point before I decide for sure.