I’m still working on the Bokhara pillow from Tapestry and Beadwork: Canvaswork Projects for the Home by Julia Hickman; my goal was to finish everything but the blue background/pink flower areas, and I succeeded. I’m not looking forward to the blue backgrounds, though; they are more complicated than the other areas.
I was looking for a way to inventory my floss so that I’d stop buying duplicate colors, preferably on my phone and found this app for $0.99. I had money in the associated account and it looked like it did what I was looking for (inventory + shopping list), so I bought it and am satisfied with it. It has color lists for a wide variety of threads; DMC and Kreinik were the ones I was interested in and they were present.
It sorts the threads by company and then by type; for example, if you choose Kreinik, you are presented with a list of blending filament, very fine #4 braid, fine #8 braid, etc. Choosing one of those gives the actual list of colors for that type, and you can then add or subtract colors (via up and down arrows by the color) and choose if you need a specific color. Selecting need for a specific color adds it to the shopping list; when you look at the shopping list you can change the amount you need. There’s also a canvas size calculator; it looks like it works well; it gave close to what it should for a particular project, and the difference is probably that it displays in fractions instead of decimals so it’s rounding up for the display (it was supposed to be .14 and it gave 1/4; 1/8=0.125 < 0.14 < 1/4=0.25). The program will export the floss list (only the owned floss) into a comma separated file; it does not look you can export the shopping list.
All in all, I’m content with this app. I have a few issues with it: I don’t like that whatever list I’m on collapses when my screen blanks, I’d really like it if it defaulted to sorting by number instead of by name since I generally don’t know the color names, and it would be nice if the have list and the shopping list were separate (adding an amount to the shopping list also adds it to the have list). When I was inventorying my floss, I did run across a DMC color that they did not have listed, but it’s not on the list on DMC’s website, the color name list I have that they seem to be using, or 123stitch.com; I’m thinking I might have written the number down wrong.
This is the Black Cat Alphabet from the Just Cross Stitch 2012 Halloween issue. I used Artiste satin floss HL310 (Navaho). The picture does not show the colors very well; one of the dark colors is brown (mnop and the tail). I did this mostly to try working with the variegated floss; I’m not entirely happy with the way the colors turned out (a bit too stripy). If I’d been working it a little more seriously and liked it a little more, I would have replaced the thread that got a bit frayed and fuzzy, mostly due to ripping out stiches; that’s my third try on i and j, and i is still not in the right place.
Here’s a lower quality picture from my phone; I think the colors show up a little better:
The Hobby Lobby nearest me stopped carrying DMC metallic, satin, pearl cotton size 5, and some of the variegated floss, and started carrying Artiste brand thread in those categories; they also started carrying some Sullivan brand floss along with the DMC. They had five colors of variegated satin floss; I ended up with all five (a couple with projects in mind, the rest just because they were there and on sale). The colors in the picture are a little off (old camera, bad lighting), but should give an idea of the colors:
I’ve never used satin floss before. I did start a project with it, and the main issue I had was that each strand is two-ply and the plies wanted to separate. I had some issues with fraying, but that was partly because I caught the thread on the edge of my frame and partly because one of the plies got caught by the fabric and seriously clumped and separated. The plies ended up uneven at the first transition point and looked weird, so I ended up ripping everything out and will start over. On the second attempt, the only places with fraying were the end in the needle and the places where I made mistakes and had to rip out stitches.
This is what full lengths of a couple of the colors look like:
This is the Asian Dragon from WitchWolfWeb Creations. I found that site last week via a post in lj’s cross_stitch community and decided to do this for my nephew’s birthday, which was today; I was finished with it and had it framed by 8:30pm, so I did finish it by his birthday. Things always take longer than I think they should; I would have finished this sooner if I’d used only embroidery floss in it. Also, it would have helped if I could have kept my needle threaded (random unthreading, uneven thread, little mistakes, one big mistake, the occasional tangle, the rare knot).
I used things from my stash for this: black 14 count Aida and two strands each of DMC embroidery floss 3765 (v dk peacock blue) for the eyes, DMC Light Effects/Antique Effects E415 (pewter) for the dragon itself, and Kreinik blending filament 032 (pearl) for the swirls around the dragon.